Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:56:16 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subject: Thunderbird causing system crash, need guidance

On 12/10/17 19:02, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
<snip>
>> From fstab:
>>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1root  /     ufs     rw,noatime      1       1
>>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1var   /var  ufs     rw,noatime      2       2
>>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1usr   /usr  ufs     rw,noatime      7       3
>>  tmpfs                 /tmp  tmpfs   rw,mode=01777   0       0
>>  md99                  none  swap    sw,file=/usr/swap/swap,late     0       0
>>  /var is 16G
>>
>> It seems like it may be corrupted disk data, but I'm wondering if
>> there's a good way to diagnose that.
>
> fsck(8)

duh, thanks.
That did solve the problem.

However, I'm confused.
Upon reboot, the system checks to see if file systems were properly
dismounted and is supposed to do an fsck.  Since those don't show up
in messages, I can't verify this, but I'm pretty certain it must have
thought it was clean, which it wasn't.  (One reason I'm pretty certain
is the time involved when run manually as you suggested).

The file system in question was mounted below "/".
Does the system only auto-check file systems mounted at "/"?

> Your swap configuration is also mostly likely silly.  If you need
> more performance, that's not the way to do it.

Can you explain or point me to an explanation for this comment?  It
looks to me like what's shown in the EXAMPLES section of "man fstab".

Thanks,

Gary