Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 15:48:36 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        thursday@altavista.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: networking weirdness

thursday@altavista.net wrote:

> There's definitely no other machine on my network with the same IP address. I
> thought that the 192.168.1.* were reserved for internal networks, so is it possible
> for some machine outside with the same IP to be causing my troubles?

If your provider doesn't have things configured correctly, it is possible
for
reserved IP numbers to be leaking onto your line.  Some providers are
notorious
for doing that. I don't know how likely that is with DSL.

If your FreeBSD gateway system is doing NAT (and is correctly configured),
then
this explanation doesn't work anyway, because the address(es) you expose
to the
outside world is (are) not the 192.168 address.  Perhaps it could be a
sign that
your NAT is misconfigured.

-- Bob

> Here's a little sketch of my network:
> ________
> |FreeBSD|------Nic 1---> DSL --> Internet
> |       |                __________
> _________------Nic 2 --->| HUB     |
>                          __________
>                           ^ ^
> ________                  | |
> |FreeBSD|------------------ |
> |________|                  |
> (problem machine)           |
> _________
>

> -- Bob

Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                       523 Weil Hall
352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611