Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 16:00:44 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        "Mark S. Reichman" <reichman@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        Mike <mike@rockatronic.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES  ????

Passive is more likely to work than active.  Under FTP, you connect to
the listening server for the control connection.  Then, when you send a
PORT command you tell the server where to connect for the data
connection.  Then you listen and the server connects.  Under passive
mode, you send a PASV and then the server listens and tells you where to
connect for the data connection.  This will work in more situations,
because often people have a firewall preventing incoming connections but
not outgoing, or something like this.  You tend not to see the reverse
as relevant, since you probably couldn't have opened the control
connection under those circumstances.

Hope that helps,
Laurence

--