Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:29:48 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Christopher Forgeron <cforger@aardvarkinc.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does my installworld keep breaking here?

I had a similar problem.  I think it happens when you try to
upgrade to a recent 4.0-stable from a 4.0-release.

In the end I fixed it by copying the binary of install from
another computer that had a recent build on it.  I'll
email you one if you like.  Then just replace your current
install with this new one.

It is really a problem with your install - you can check this
by simply typing

install -fschg

which will produce the same error message.

ANother way you could fix it is by going through all the
Makefiles (and bsd.lib.mk) in your src tree deleting every
occurence of -fschg.  I started on this route, but it seemed
to take a long time.

Another approach would be to look through the obj tree and try
and find the new copy of install that should be installed, but
as much as I looked for it, I just couldn't find it.

Perhaps the makefiles should be modified so that they
always use the new install program in the obj tree rather
than /usr/bin/install.

Christopher Forgeron wrote:

> Hi, I've been fighting with this for a while;
>
> I do a make installworld from my newly d/led CVS source tree.  Here is the
> tail-end of my output.
>
> ===> lib/libcrypt
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libscrypt.a /usr/lib
> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg  libscrypt.so.2 /usr/lib
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: install: Undefined symbol "strtofflags"
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcrypt.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
>  I have 4.0-RELEASE, and am trying to upgrade to 4.0-STABLE. I got the
> complete src/all from CVS (RELENG4), and I have, and have not gotten all the
> crypto, depending on my mood.
>
>  I've done these before, and they worked. On this box, it's dying.
>
>  Anything blindingly stupid that I'm forgetting?
>
> --
>   Christopher Forgeron
>   Aardvark Computer Solutions, Inc.
>   2070 Oxford Street, Suite 200, Halifax, Nova Scotia. B3L-2T2
>   Tel: (902) 425-2686  Fax: (902) 425-1550
>   cforger@aardvarkinc.com

Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Department of Mathematics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211
Phone 573-882-4540, fax 573-882-1869
http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen  stephen@math.missouri.edu