Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:58:07 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 device timeout without conflict

Hello Antoine,

> Then what I should would be to compile the modules (i.e. PS/2
> support) into the kernel and disable it? Oh how would we wish that thes=
> darn machines would have more than 15 IRQs! :) I miss my job's DEC
> alpha. :)

Would like an Alpha for the price of a PC at home, too :-))
PCI cards are supposed to be able to share IRQs (not always true in
reality)

So, to the kernel stuff:

> =

> Another thing with PNP... In the 3.x line, there was a "pnp" command
> available in the kernel userconfig. The pnp(4) manpage in 4.1 confirms
> that, I can't access that command. When trying to compile a kernel with=
:
> =

> controller pnp0
> =

> as advised in the pnp(4) manpage, I get a warning about the fact that t=
he
> 'controller' keyword is deprecated, and to use the 'device' keyword
> instead.
> =

> When using the 'device' keyword, it tells me that 'pnp' is an unknown
> device!
> =

> This is not funny anymore. I have a PnP modem here that I _have_ to set=
up
> properly, and I used to do it using the pnp tool. Same with the AWE32
> sound card. (this one, however, is properly detected, thanks to the pcm=

> driver, but set to IRQ 5, which is usually used by sio2, my modem...)

"controller" disappeared completely in 4.x (it=B4s all "device" now), as
did "pnp" as user controlled device. The kernel is supposed to do all
the PnP stuff correct by itself.
So you have to compile in PS/2 support if you can=B4t disable this in you=
BIOS (did you look for newer BIOS versions? On my ASUS P2B I can control
all onboard stuff). And you should NOT disable this on booting or in the
appropriate conf-file. Just don=B4t use PS/2. This is true for me also fo=
USB for example (the USB is enabled in the BIOS to make it possible to
check out some USB stuff for colleagues under Win98; I never use it in
FreeBSD, but kernel module is compiled in, to enable the kernel to
recognize the used IRQ). =

> > Another point to your NIC. Is it a combo version with 10base-2 and
> > 10base-T ?
> =

> Nope. Plain 10baseT/UTP. Twisted-pair. Not coax. (that's T/UTP, right?)=

UTP=3D unshielded twisted pair

I think, you said it works under Win? Then it=B4s o.k. :-)

> I have looked into the BIOS for PS/2 settings, and I can't find any.
> =

> The only thing regarding IRQ 12 I could find was wether I must assign t=
he
> resource to "PCI/PnP" or "Legacy ISA", and this is a toggle available f=
or
> all IRQs in the "PNP/PCI Config." menu. These toggles are available
> when I choose "resource controlled by _manual_" instead of 'auto'.

In this menu you have to toggle all IRQs to "Legacy ISA", which are used
by NON-PnP cards (e.g. the IRQ used by your NIC). The BIOS won=B4t use
them anymore for PnP-cards then. I don=B4t know if the FreeBSD algorithms=

are influenced by this settings, but I have them set correctly just in
case.

Ciao
Siegbert