Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2000 20:29:44 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bad block on an IDE drive

Hi Larry,

> How do I map out some bad blocks on an IDE drive under current
> 4.1-STABLE? (CVSUP'd yesterday).

Donīt know the FreeBSD way. But normally I would backup my data on it and then
low level format the disk. This will recognize and remap the bad sectors. A tool
doing this for IDE disks is freely available from Maxtor. Be aware, that if your
disk starts having bad sectors, this process often will continue (microparticles
between head and surface, for example). So I wouldnīt store my most valuable
data on it.

Ciao
Siegbert