Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:05:20 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Dell 1850 with PERC4e/DC RAID?

On Jan 14, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> I was actually referring to Doug White, who said:
>
>> From what I remember, you will receive status-change kernel
>> messages when
>> disks disappear, rebuilds start, and so forth. So for most day-to-day
>> manipulation you should be fine.
>
> It wasn't clear if this applied to the amr(4)-based PERC cards or
> just the
> aac(4) ones.
>
> Sounds like the re-worked amr driver will be very much better, at
> least
> once a few more bugs have been ironed out of it.

 From my experience, the amr driver does not issue warnings of any
sort that show up on the console or in log files.  The aac driver is
more chatty -- I see log file lines about the battery being
recharged, etc.

I've never had a drive failure on any box in which I have an aac
driven card, so can't speak to that but I'd bet $1 that it would log
it.  The amr driver doesn't log drive failures -- one must run some
utility to probe it.