Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:30:59 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem Installing Desktop Managers in 4.2

Hi and Happy New Year!  8^)

Well, after trying, failing a couple times and trashing
WIN98 on my first hard drive and then reinstalling,
I was able to successfully install FreeBSD 4.2 on
a secondary hard drive on my home PC.

Thanks to all who offered assistance when I was
experiencing problems.  Things went smoother
when I installed FreeBSD 4.2 on the second drive
and didn't even look at anything on the first (WIN98)
drive.  Then, System Commander helped with
booting into each OS/hard disk.

Now, I'm experiencing a problem I haven't seen
before.  During the install of FreeBSD, when I
went to choose and install KDE as the desktop
manager, I got the following errors:

>Adding packeages/All/xpm-3.4k.tgz (as a dependency from acd0c

>Add of package xpm-3.4k aborted, error code 1 -
>Please check the debug screen for more info

>acd0: READ_BIG_MEDIUM ERROR asc=11 ascq=05
>error=00

>kdebase -1.1.2.1 failed

>An error occurred while adding the package(s)
>required by this desktop type.  Please
>change the installation media and/or select
>a different, perhaps simpler, desktop
>environment and try again.

I've tried installing the desktop manager with
/stand/sysinstall and get the same thing,
even when choosing the other desktop
managers.  None of them will install.

Could anyone help me with this or point
me to some online docs that tell how