Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 08:38:54 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Subject:   Re: Request for help configuring sound card

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com> types:
> > I'm running FreeBSD 4.1 and have an Ensoniq soundcard that uses the
> > ES1371 sound driver successfully in Linux.
> >
> > I've recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with the pcm device and executed 'sh
> > MAKEDEV snd0' as root.
> >
> > Executing 'cat /dev/sndstat' provides the following information:
> >
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan  5 2001 18:52:46
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xe400 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)
> >
> > Unfortunately, when I try to use Kscd (the cd player that comes with
> > KDE) I get the following message:
> > 'CDROM read or access error.
> > Please make sure you have access permissions to:
> > /dev/rmatcd0c'
> >
> > ls -l /dev/rmatcd0c yields:  'crw-r-----'
>
> This looks like a problem with either Kscd or your cd player, not the
> sound card. You might try playing a simple wav file (the splay port
> will do that for you) to check the sound card.
>
> Next, does your dmesg indicate that you've got a matcd cd player? If
> not, then Kscd is trying to use the wrong cd player; you'll have to
> reconfigure Kscd to use the correct device.
>
>         <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

That was it!  Thanks Mike!

I'll explain the specific solution for future users with this problem:

Kscd has a tool button for configuration.  The button has a hammer and
screwdriver drawn on it.  Select the configuration button, and the
Configuration Window will appear.  The third tab in the Configuration
window, KSCD Options, allows you to specify the CDROM device.  I
obtained the correct CDROM device by reading the CDROM entry in
/etc/fstab.  Althought KSCD wanted to use /dev/rmatcd0c, the correct
device was /dev/acd0c.  Once I made this correction, Kscd worked fine.
Kscd will mount the CD for you.

Happy Days!

Andrew Gould