Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:33:36 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General Questions

Scott Pilz wrote:
> For ISP ussage, what is recommended, SunOS or FreeBSD?

That's a stupid question to ask on a FreeBSD mailing list, as just about
everyone is going to say FreeBSD!

> Can FreeBSD run on Sun hardware that is apx. 2 years old? Does it run
> well? What about Sun hardware that is running more than one proccessor?

No, look at NetBSD or OpenBSD.

> Are FreeBSD and Sun very different from one another? (I realize unix is
> unix, as windows is windows, and dos is dos, however the command
> structures I'm slightly confused about)

Yes and no. In some ways VERY different, in others, pretty similar.

> In the long run, I hope to switch these Sun boxes to BSD, I'm *sold* on
> BSD, atleast for ISP aspects, is this a good idea to switch, or is it
> worth while learning another OS because Sun offers more than BSD?

Probably not. I don't think there is anything that will run on a Sun box
better than the Sun OS. I could be wrong, however.

> Looking for the *best* hardware to buy for FreeBSD. Any paticular
> motherboards, hard drives, proccessors that seem to work better with
> FreeBSD than others? We may be looking at Raid hot-swapable drives, is
> this a good idea? if so anyone running any paticular hardware we should
> purchase?

Personally, we use ASUS motherboards with AMD processors. Have had great
success. We've also been very pleased with the Adaptec 29160 SCSI
adapters, altho FreeBSD doesn't support full 160M/s access (runs
flawlessly in 80m/s mode). IBM HDDs and ATI video generally top things
off.
Hardware RAID is usually a good idea, and hot swap drives are an even
better idea. We haven't had a need that justified the cost thus yet
(anything we put RAID into we can afford to take down for an hour to
replace a drive if it fails) so I can't specifically recommend anything.
If you can't justify the cost of hardware RAID, vinum works very well.

-Bill