Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:53:20 +0000
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>
Subject:   Re: quotacheck -a taking *ages* on boot

Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> On Thu, 01-Feb-2001 at 23:42:33 +0000, David Goddard wrote:

> > I've been having some problems with my last two buildworlds (18 and 30 Jan)
> > on a remote machine - the first of these, it took about half an hour
> > between booting and being able to log in or access any services (i.e.
> > before sshd and all the other daemons start) and the second was up to about
> > an hour.  Looking through the logs, it seems that the delay comes just
> > after named starts up - at about the time quotacheck happens.  Manually
> > running quotacheck confirms that this step is taking a looong time.
>
> You might want to check PR# 2325
>
> Look in your filesystem for large uids.

Close, but my symptoms aren't quite the same and there don't seem to be
any large UIDs.

However, it did prompt me to try quotacheck -v on the filesystems
individually:

> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s1f   6450348     5924  5928397     0%    /home
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
This took ages and the first time I ran it an error was returned (that
I, er, didn't note down and it hasn't generated any messages since).

> > /dev/ad2s1f  13804609   796544 11903697     6%    /data
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
This was really quick - no problem there.

Bjoern Groenvall wrote:
~ You don't have to run quotacheck on every reboot. Only if you have to
~ run fsck is it necessary to run quotacheck. Also, even if fsck
~ repaired the filesystem, the old quota state is probably a good enough
~ approximation of the current (real) quota state. If you want to, you
~ may instead run quotacheck sometime later to rebuild a consistent
~ quota state.

This fixed the boot times - thanks.

However, I'm concerned that there is something wrong with the patition
/home or worse the disk it's on.  Manually running fsck produced nothing
interesting and I'm not sure what other tools are available to diagnose
the issue.  I'm aware that this is probably drifting away from being a
-stable question now, but any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Dave