Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:26:55 +0100
From:      tr909 <tr909@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MySQL much slower on FreeBSD vs Linux?

Dear BSD,

I like mySQL very much especially on unix machines,
but i ran across some disturbing posts that it would run
twice as slow on FreeBSD as on a Linux box?

I searched and searched all searchengines but could nowhere
find a (recent) comparison of mysql bench results on the
same hardware and different platforms (FreeBSD, Linux,
Win98 etc.)
On mysql.com there's also a comparison but on very different
hardware and it appears to be a very old document (1997?)
http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmark-results/result-mysql-platform-relative.html

------------------------------------
 can you shed some light here?
------------------------------------

    Thanks for your time,
       Gerhard (tr909)

 sources:
http://lists.omnipotent.net/mysql/199904/msg00143.html (1999)
http://zappa.zeelandnet.nl/article.php?sid=14&mode=thread&order=0 (2001)

(the latter one is recent (in Dutch) but should pose no problem to read
the specs)

anwser by mysql:
>    We did recently setup a FreeBSD box here at MySQL; I will try to run
>    some benchmarks on it this weekend to be able to give you some
>    numbers!
>
>    At any rate, everything indicates that on a multi-cpu machine MySQL is
>    much faster on Linux than on FreeBSD.
>
>    Regards,
>    Monty

Can some of the list readers and BSD Guru's shed some light here
or maybe even give some hints to boost performance?

as a bit newbie i am, i like BSD a bit more for security reasons
but if it is allmost twice or three-times as slow with MySQL databases....

 Gerhard