Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:46:19 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Dan S." <techieguy7@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Added a new HD need some help.

"Dan S." schrieb:

> I just added a new HD to my system. I Fdisk'ed it and
> labeled it from /stand/sysinstall. I labeled it /zusr
> and added an entry for the drive to fstab. What I am
> wondering is how can I get things to install to the
> new HD instead of /usr which is almost full? How can i
> get something I install from the ports collection to
> install to /zusr? I have tried making a symbolic link
> but that didn't do what I wanted. Any suggestions on
> how to get it working the way I want?

What's the way you want?

ideally, I'd run du /usr to check where a split point is, try to guess
which arae inside /usr will grow how fast, then single out _one_
directory inside /usr to transfer to the new disk.

For example, I decide /usr/home will grow fastes. To get this area to
the new disk,

# cd /usr
# tar cpf - home/ | (cd /zusr; tar xpf -)

to copy the contents over. Remember to check if the copy succeded.

# shutdown now

goes to single user (not really neccessary, just added security nobody
gets in the way)

# rm -r /usr/home/*

removes the old contents and fress up some space on the old drive

# umount /zusr

unmounts the drive at its old location, now assuming ad1s1e isw the new
disk, replace with whatever you new disk is located at

# mount /dev/ad1s1e /usr/home

mounts the new disk in place of the old, rapidly grwing home directory.
As a last step, adjust /etc/fstab to automount your new disk at its new
location.

HTH
-Christoph Sold