Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:20:22 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.co.uk>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More BETA evilness Re: BETA induced nervousness

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 01:36:08AM +0000, Paul Richardsü wrote:
> > Well yes I know that, but when the release goes out the door and when
> > the -release tag is laid aren't the same thing. The ports tree doesn't
> > get branched so we can branch the src, then check the ports, then roll
> > the release.
>
> Who the heck do you think is going to do this check.  Would you please go
> do `find /usr/ports -type f | xargs grep MAINTAINER | sort | uniq' and see
> the number of people involved.

If the idea of dropping -beta was adopted then the timing of the release
would change so that the src tree was branched some time before the
actual release date so that there is time for ports to be checked.

Some change in our release procedures would be required to support this
way of working, but it's only a proposal. Everyone in this project is
allowed to offer proposals. There's no reason to shout it down just
because it's not how things are done at the moment.

> From your past three emails, I can see you just don't get how things
> work.  For the past many releases I've pushed to have newvers.sh edited
> early, we have fixed many problems early in the Ports Collection that
> before caused some packages to not make it into the release.  The current
> practice exists for a reason, is liked by every Ports Committer I've
> talked to, and solves problems.
>
> Before you come out with this again, become a Ports Committer and see how
> most work before you tell us how to do our jobs.

I am a ports committer.

Paul.