Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:32:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Loader Progress...

--------------Boundary-00=_DT9TE30AMK8NTT4D7TH0

Hi.

> Don't bother with libstand, go straight to the libalpha code and
> see if we're actually calling the SRM 'open' function more than
> once.  I suspect that SRM may have issues with that.
Indeed we are calling prom_open multiple times. Here is some serial
output that shows some debugging.

(boot dva0.0.0.1000.0 -flags 0)
block 0 of dva0.0.0.1000.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dva0.0.0.1000.0
bootstrap code read in
Building FRU table
base = 200000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 1f2000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
Console: SRM firmware console
VMS PAL rev: 0x4000200010115
OSF PAL rev: 0x4000200020117
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision 1.1
(michael@marconi.eecs.ukans.edu, Mon Mar 26 09:21:03 CST 2001)
Memory: 262144 k
Opening the boot device...Call to prom_open: DVA 0 1000 0 0 0 8086
0002
returning 1195680 from prom_open
Done.
Call to prom_open: DVA 0 1000 0 0 0 8086 0002
returning 1196480 from prom_open
Call to prom_open: DVA 0 1000 0 0 0 8086 0002
returning 1201504 from prom_open
Open called on file (/boot/loader.rc)
Call to prom_open: DVA 0 1000 0 0 0 8086 0002

... Code apparently never returns from here ...

I will work to eliminate the extra prom_open calls later today
(provided nothing major takes up all my time) and see if that fixes
the problems. It would seem to me that an open call would be required
if we were loading via tftp, but not from disk. Perhaps this is the
origin of the problem. We're calling prom_open multiple times on the
same and already open device. Perhaps it is running out of resources
or something in this version of SRM.

-Michael