Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:13:09 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Hardware

BSD Freak schrieb:

> Hiya guys,
>
> I need some opinions -
>
> I am building two high performance web servers (single CPU in each
> system) to run some PHP4 based web applications.
>
> Cost is no consideration (ie the cost difference between AMD and Intel)
>
> Should I go AMD 1.2Ghz or PIII 1Ghz ?

AMD Athlons crunch better than PIII or P4 at the same frequency. But
this is only important for number crunchers, thus it's irrelevant for a
web server. To get the CPU work reliably, I'd trade 100MHz for a Papst
cooler ;)

> Should use a motherboard with a VIA chipset or i810 i815 i820 (I will
> most likely be using a GigaByte motherboard)

Depends. I tend to use boards I can replace within a few hours. (I.e.
get spare parts easily.) Be careful to stay away from boards featuring
onboard video with shared memory -- those are speed hogs.

> Will I have any problems with any of the above?

Neither of the above named parts will cause headaches.

> I will of course be running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
>
> Which Processor/Motherboard will give me best performance?

That's not important for a server. Important for your server throughput
will be mostly to choose decent NICs, as well as decent I/O channels to
storage. RAID will be fine, SCSI is a must for reliable systems, tape
backup should be mandatory. No, I don't talk DAT here -- 1/2" is the way
to go.

Just my EUR.02
-CHristoph Sold