Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:17:05 -0700
From:      Douglas Pavey <paveyd@kudra.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   freebsd 3.4 + 3c503

I have had problems putting together a firewall server for my home
server environment using FreeBSD on a cast off 486 dx2-66 - with
multiple NIC's, one of which is a 3c503, the other is a 3c509 card.  The
problem with using newer cards is that the machine supports VL Bus and
ISA cards.  Previously, it was working using a ppp dial up connection.
Now that I upgraded to a broadband ISP, It'd be nice to use the same
setup using a NIC card / DHCP where the modem / PPP was being used.

For some reason, I can only get the 509 card configured as ep0.  It
refuses to set up ep1.
I configured both similarly with the 509 set to use address 300 irq 10
and the 503 set to use 310, irq 2.  Both have memory disabled.
I modified the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC to include both card
settings & rebuilt the kernal.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?
(PS: I am familiar with Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, not so familiar with BSD)
Any pointers, articles, FAQs would be appreciated.
--
Douglas Pavey                        Email: mailto:paveyd@kudra.com
WEB:                                    http://www.kudra.com/paveyd