Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 01:07:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Christoph Hellwig <hch@ns.caldera.de>
Cc:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, opengfs-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Sistina has changed the License for GFS 4.2 to some own, propriterary
> one.  They chooses to ignore the GPL problematic and thus might get
> into legal problems very soon.

I don't know what contributions, if any, were made under the
terms of the old license.

The new license requires that you license it from them for
commercial gain, if you ship it in a product, and charge for
it.  I think that you could use it in BSD without a problem,
from a first reading of it.

The intellectual property claims may stop some contributors,
if they wish to contribute pantented/patentable technology.

The license grants for sources, for which there is a royalty
free back-grant to the authors, for derivative works makes
sense -- it makes more sense than the FSF approach, for which
you must assign rights (as with the Sistina license), and for
which your rights are only returned to you under the terms of
the GPL, rather than as a perpetual royalty free rights to do
with your own code as you wish (yes, I know the GPL does not
require that, but it _is_ required for FSF controlled projects,
if you want your code accepted by them).

So from what I can see, the license is annoying from a commercial
perspective, but would not stop a CDROM FreeBSD shipment, and
would potentially not stop commercial use (they allow commercial
internal use for everyone, and they allow commercial use for a fee
for services incorporating the code to educational institutions).

So you would still need to license for straight commercial use,
or for use in a service for a fee, if you were not a non-profit
edcucational institution.

> We (the OpenGFS project) have spend about ten times as much time
> just to fix the horrible implementation bugs in GFS, not to mention#
> that it also has a lot of design problems.

I'm only worried about the drivers for the weird hardware, and
the interoperability issues.  Frankly, I can write filesystems
in my sleep... I can churn out that kind of code at about 2,200
lines a day -- ask Julian about my 22,000 line "fetchmail"
replacement, which I churned out in a period of only two work
weeks -- brainless (simple) code can be written at about the speed
I can type.

> If you want to develop and freestanding filesystem driver (e.g.
> not trying to use butter ugly constructs to shared code between
> operating systems) feel free to join the OpenGFS project.
> (http://www.opengfs.org).

Unfortunately, from the web page, it has the GPL issues which will
preclude using it as a boot FS, or shipping a CDROM which would
install to it as the root FS type, by way of user selection
(preferred) or by default (annoying to commercial users).  At least
I can actually use the code...

-- Terry