Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 22:30:23 -0800
From:      adam@blacktabby.org
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It works!

On 8 Dec 2001 at 20:47, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:43:46PM -0800, Adam Kranzel wrote:
> > Hi...
> >
> > I got -CURRENT installed on my 5305 (after some messing around and
> > discovering that while -STABLE won't boot of the RAID controller, -CURRENT
> > will), and am building world now.
>
> What RAID controller is this?

Mylex DAC960, single-channel, don't remember the DEC model number for it.
I installed -stable (from the snapshot Wilko pointed me at), onto a disk configured
as JBOD (the system itself) and a RAID 5 virtual disk (/home).  The install went fine,
but after the install, i type "boot dra0" at the srm prompt and got (hand transcribed):

<snipped standard system intializing>

Block 0 of dra0.0.0.4.0 is a valid boot block
Reading 15 blocks from dra0.0.0.4.0
Bootstrap code read in
Building FRU table
Base = 200000. image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
Initliazing HWRPB at 2000
Initializing page table at 1f2000
Initliazing machine state
Setting affinity to the primary CPU
Jumping to bootstrap code

Boot:

It just sits here, and whatever I type in I get:

Can't open file

Halting CPU 0
Halt code = 5

Halt instruction executed
PC = 20000038

I installed the 2001-07-21 -current snapshot from ftp.freebsd.org/snapshots/alpha by
booting the -stable install cd, then pointing it at the -current bits on a local NFS
server.  After the install was done I typed "boot dra0" at the srm prompt again, and it
booted just fine.

If there is anything else you want me to try just let me know.
If you want me to try -stable again just let me know, I have another RAID 5 virtual
disk that I have not used yet.

thanks
 -Adam