Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:05:07 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD gateway problems

> Question though.  Why would I want the -dynamic flag
> on natd?

If you're IP address is acquired via DHCP, the -dynamic
flag tells natd to monitor the interface and adapt itself
if the IP changes (which can happen with DHCP).  If you
have a static IP, you don't need this.

> Also, in my rc.conf I have:
>
> Firewall_type="OPEN"

That should be OK.  The OPEN profile in the default rc.firewall
has always worked for me.

> And, if I don't have the entries for the pc's on my
> LAN in /etc/hosts will they still be able to connect
> to the internet through the gateway?

Yes.

--
Bill Moran