Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:59:37 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

Hiten Pandya wrote:
> the license issues dont really affect us...
> after all we have an src/gnu directory... thats what
> it is for... dumping GPL'ed stuff....
>
> and talking about GPL, we can even publish the code
> as the GPL license states... after all we are an
> open Source Project, but if we were commercial...
>
> it would have affected us.. but thats not the
> case...

Please note: none of the code shipped in /usr/src/gnu is in the
boot path.

In other words, you can build a bootable FreeBSD system without it.

For an FS that will be used as the root FS (/), this is not true.

It is not legal for us to distribute CDROMS capable of installing
a new FreeBSD system wit only JFS partitions, due to the license.

You really should follow Alfreds advice, and go read the list
archives, where this issue was discussed in detail, before.

-- Terry