Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:03:05 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Kish <kish@coyotepoint.com>
Cc:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Debugging double page fault

Bill Kish wrote:
>  Nothing's changed hardware or configuration wise.

You will not believe how many times I've seen this, and
it comes down to "well, there was one thing, but it can't
_possibley_ have been that!".

> Since this system handles alot of network traffic, I was
> thinking it might be some kind of martian packet causing
> the crash. I'd seen that happen before with RR pings from
> Linux systems, but at least had a reasonable dump to work
> with.
>
>  I'll try swapping out the hardware and see what happens.
> But I'm still curious about a methodology for analyzing
> such dumps.

Normally, you cause a break to the debugger.

If you can stop in the second fault, then adding a record
of the previous fault "frame" to the first time fault
handler will let you look at the information in the second
case.

Normally, if you are getting this kind of fault, then
you are trying to execute on the stack.

If it were a stack overflow, then you can increase the
number of stack pages by rebuilding the kernel with a
larger number.  This is unlikely to be the problem,
since you aren't running the newer ATA code with a
kernel that old.

You might also want to work on replaying traffic, if
you think it's a killer packet.  You need to capture
the trace as a first step towards that.

-- Terry