Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:46:46 -0800
From:      Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux_sched_getscheduler error w/ linux-jdk-1.4.0 & linux-base-7.1_1

I posted a problem I was having w/ linux-jdk-1.4.0 to the freebsd-java
list with no responses; I've since used truss to track it down to a
permission error with linux_sched_getscheduler, so I'm re-asking here.

Essentially, running the linux-jdk-1.4.0 as root works fine, running as
user fails as follows:

bash-2.05a$ javavm -version
#
# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
# Please report this error at
# http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.0-b92 mixed mode)
#
# Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55580E43505002AB
#
Abort trap (core dumped)
bash-2.05a$

This all appears to come down to the following (from truss):

linux_sched_getscheduler(0x8f34)      ERR#1 'Operation not permitted'

I've found references to this in the archives, but all dealing with
previous versions of the linux-jdk (which all work fine for me), and
none with any particular resolution.

I'm hoping/guessing it just comes down to a permissions error somewhere.

Any thoughts?

- Andrew