Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:04:07 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel debugger and X11.

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Yes, install the GGI port to FreeBSD, and use that instead
> > of the native FreeBSD console, so that the video driver is
> > aware of the state it put the card in, and can put it back
> > into the correct state for the debugger to work.  This also
> > buys you out of the secure-mode hacks that make you leave
> > certain mmap and /dev/io accesses allowed, even with a
> > raised secure level, if you are going to be able to use X11.
> >
> > The GGI people have bent over backwards on licensing to try
> > and get the FreeBSD people to adopt this code, but apparently
> > people are not doing enough console debugging from having
> > run X11 for this to push its way in.
>
> do you have links to the threads and a summary available?

License change, 1998 (you have to follow the threads, which I'm
not going to do for you, as I am using a slow link, so you will
have to follow them yourself, or trust my 3.5 year old memory):

  http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/9810/msg00028.html

FTP Archive:

  ftp://ftp.ggi-project.org/pub/ggi/ggi/

Home page: