Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:15:50 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libiconv hell

Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>   I have a question. Why BSD licensed iconv library was recently dropped
> in favour of GNU one? I wonder if there is any difference between these
> three call library interfaces at all. May be it's good idea to let both
> libraries (libiconv and iconv) to results into the same iconv.h and
> libiconv.so files and fix the shared library major version number for
> both implementations till the UnixXX iconv specs do not introduce some
> significant changes. This enables portmaintainers to specify the level
> of UnixXX spec capability required by package and user in turn the
> implementation of his/her choice (e.g. via /etc/make.conf). I believe
> there is no sence to have both libraries installed.
>
> LIB_DEPENDS=iconv.3:${PORTSDIR}/converters/${LIBICONV}

Because BSDL iconv has many shortcomings severely limiting its
usefullness for real-world applications. Among such shortcomings are
missed some popular encodings, reported deadloops in the code and so
on. Moreover, currently it isn't maintained so that it's absolutely
unclear when those problems will be resolved. However, if somebody
will pick up maintainership and actually fix the problems then I'll be
more that willing to do a back GNU iconv --> BSDL iconv switchover.

-Maxim