Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:55:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode::v_op bugfix / PERFORCE change 8574 for review (fwd)

"Brian F. Feldman" wrote:
> Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
> > A previous message said new vnode-ops are very rare.  I
> > do not know what would trigger them, but I will note that
> > one of the things I can brag about with freebsd is that
> > I have a freebsd machine running a production service
> > here which has now been up for 437 consecutive days.  Are
> > these events rare enough that I would never have to worry
> > about ending an uptime-streak because of too many of them?
>
> It's not likely to happen, I imagine, but I'd rather to make it "impossible"
> to happen rather than just not likely.

You can make it happen by loading a module that is not statically
compiled, and which adds a VOP to the list of VOPs.  The one that
triggered this whole thread was NTFS, which adds a VOP for no
good reason that I can discern (it should be a file ioctl, IMO).

The workaround is to statically compile the module so that the
VOP list doesn't get added to when you mount an NTFS volume.

The operation is rare, in that it can only happen when you
load a module that adds a VOP.  Doing _that_ is rare.

-- Terry