Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 08:10:06 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql install problem

If you reply to the list as well as me, others can answer your question
if I'm unavailable or don't know the answer.

Defryn, Guy wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
>
> I think I have downloaded a binary file and I am trying to install it
 > as a source file. I am rather new to unix.

I suggest reading the section on ports/packages in the handbook.  It's
on the FreeBSD web site, but it's also on your local FreeBSD system if
you installed the docs.

> I have a few temporary directories now with all the mysql files.
> Is there an easy way of deleting this? I cannot seem to delete
 > the directory in one go

rm -r /the/dir/name
But I think others already answered this for you.

> When I use /stand/sysinstall I can only see the mysql-client package.
> I believe I need the server one. I can't use the ports because I don't
 > have internet connection for that machine.

Then grab the .tgz file and use pkg_add to install it.  Read the handbook,
and the man page for pkg_add.  Once you know the system, it's actually
very simple.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology