Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 05:32:24 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Head's up: NO_PERL -> NO_PERL_WRAPPER

Doug Barton wrote:
> Anton Berezin wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 02:39:45AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > > Per discussion with various folks, including Mark, I've moved the
> > > NO_PERL knob over to NO_PERL_WRAPPER, and documented same. Given that
> > > this is a fundamentally different thing than the old perl knobs, my
> > > opinion is that we don't need to provide compatibility, but I won't
> > > argue that point too strongly.
> >
> > The compatibility is a moot point either way, since there was no NO_PERL
> > knob - it used to be called NOPERL.
>
> It's NOPERL in -stable, but it was NO_PERL in -current when I changed it
> to NO_PERL_WRAPPER.

If we are expressing preferences, I prefer that it be called:

NO_WE_CHANGE_THE_NAME_SO_YOU_GET_PERL_ANYWAY_`date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`

Just so that the name matches it's *real* function, which is apparently
to make sure that whatever variable you set to avoid getting perl last
time is totally ineffective in preventing you getting perl this time.

I personally just consider it an unsubtle means of perl advocacy...

-- Terry