Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:29:38 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, "Carlos F. A. Paniago" <pan@panix.ecof.org.br>, Tim Tretyak <timothy@umc.com.ua>, Huang wen hui <huang@ns.gddsn.org.cn>, trish@bsdunix.net, Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>, Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>, Dave Goode <dave@davegoode.net>, "Erik H. Bakke" <ebakke@trolltech.com>, Mark Russell <mark@mark.net.au>, Oliver Braun <obraun@Informatik.unibw-muenchen.DE>, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, David Liebeherr <concept-server@gmx.net>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System rtld fix for Openoffice (ports only)

Aloha!

Martin Blapp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Matt Dillon has fixed the openoffice setup install problem. Maybe
> we will get a MFC which just disables the SymCache for the RELEASE.
>
> Since the package does not use the OO setup for the whole install
> (this already happened on the machine building the package), this
> problem is only if someone builds the ports himself.
>
> The problem also exists in CURRENT.
>
> The effect of the problem is a coredumping installation, which does
> leave a half installed Openoffice back. The setup programm will then
> tell you about setup.ins missing.
>

>>The problem appears to be when the loader is called from a thread.
>>Threads do not have large stacks... typically only 64K, but the symbol
>>cache can be huge and the dynamic loader allocates it on the stack using
>>alloca()!  In the case of open-office there are several dynamically
>>loaded modules with symbol caches exceeded 250 Kilobytes.
>

> If you have already tried to install OO but is has failed starting setup
> afer you have installed, just do this:
>
> 1.) Apply the patch
> 2.) cd /src/libexec/rtld-elf/
> 3.) make depend && make && make install
> 4.) cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice
> 5.) make deinstall, make reinstall
>
> Can you please test this too ?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I did a fresh install of OpenOffice after applying the patch. When the
installation completed I did a "make install-user" using my normal user.
All works as expected.

The system I'm running is STABLE as of:

js@fetis2.ninja.se:/home/js>uname -a
FreeBSD fetis2.ninja.se 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #8: Sun Jun  9 09:02:05
CEST 2002     js@fetis2.ninja.se:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATHLON  i386

This might indicate that with the applied patch, OpenOffice should be
installable and usable with the 4.6 Release.

Great job Martin and Matt!

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson