Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:04:25 -0400
From:      Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: su to root

"Balaji, Pavan" wrote:

> I wonder what exactly this means. I don't remember seeing any option for
> creating/not-creating the wheel group while installation.

It means "Install 'sudo' so that you get tighter control over who can do
what, and much better logging."

:-)

I've known about sudo for ages but only started using it.  After learning
the configuration syntax, I've found it a great little utility.  There are
now many cases where I used to hand out root access but now I only have to
give sudo access to a particular command.  (Disclaimer: you shouldn't give
sudo access to any command that you haven't personally audited or you may
be giving the person full root access without knowing it.)

--tal

--
Tom Limoncelli -- tal@lumeta.com  --  www.lumeta.com

          http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com