Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:38:05 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/41012: /etc/periodic/daily/440.status-mailq assumes sendmail

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> And then again.. the default scripts, with the default settings, *are*
> indeed spartan.  The way I read the 440.status-mailq script, the -Ac
> parameters are *only* passed when the daily_status_mailq_shorten
> variable is set to 'YES'.  The default value for that variable is 'NO',
> so the default for the status-mailq script would be to invoke mailq with
> absolutely no parameters, which should be compatible with all MTA's.
> The reason you are seeing that problem is that you have tweaked the
> default settings by explicitly requesting shortened mailq output :)

I don't want to prolong this rather silly discussion and I'm not
particularly pedantic but the problem is with the
daily_status_include_submit_mailq variable (which is set to YES
in defaults/periodic.conf), not with the daily_status_mailq_shorten
option...  JFYI.  After I found out about periodic.conf (actually
I have to admit I didn't know about it when I sent the PR) and that
the problematic check can be switched off with it, the PR could
be closed... would be nice, tho, if the blahblah_submit_mailq thing
would be "NO" by default or the postfix port issue a message upon
installation to inform one where to look for necessary changes
(something like "have a look at periodic.conf for sendmail-specific
mailq checks" would be ok.)

--mkb