Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:48:56 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@vicor.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Racoon question

I have a (probably silly) question about racoon..

I have racoon working to some extent.
I have it working in transport mode.

However I notice that if I have a problem on one system it sometimes
needs to wait until the running SA has expired until things can be
restarted.. For example if one system is rebooted, I need to reset the
racoon on the
other system and clear SAs etc. before  things can resync.

It occured to me that this may be because the racoons need to talk
across the
transport connection that is toasted so it's a catch-22.

I tried setting up port 500 as an excpetion using 'none'
in /etc/ipsec.conf but that seems to confuse things.. it seems unable to
decide for
any given connection whether
to use the [500] or [any]
sessions.

There is no documentation as to whether one can set up a generic SA
between machines A and B and then have an exception for a particular
port number and protocol.

If I DO put the line
spdadd bla [500] bla [500] none;
into the file things apparently get very confused..

If I don't, as I said, the racoons can not talk to each other
until everything on both sides of the link have been reset.

does anyone know whether racoon can is supposed to be able to
communicate
across a broken transport connection?
if not then it seems to be rather useless..