Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:34:00 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using mem above 4Gb was: swapon some regular file

Nate Lawson wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2002, Vladimir B.  Grebenschikov wrote:
> > Exactly, Terry is right about large number of relative-small
> > network-access processes (say apaches). But there are some other cases,
> > say you have some DB server with huge index, say 10Gb, I think keep
> > index in RAM effective than on disk.
>
> It's often surprisingly effective to just access the index on disk and
> tune your VM cache instead.  You can lose performance by double-caching
> data.

PSE-36 and PAE give you access to a 36 bit address space.  But you
are still limited to a 32 bit *linear* address space.

More RAM in a 32 bit machine, even if you can wave the appropriate
entrails over the keyboard so that it's accessible to the OS, will
*NOT* increase the linear address space.

IMO, if you want a larger linear address space, instead of pretending
you have one, buy yourself an IA64 instead.

-- Terry