Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:52:08 -0800
From:      James Wu <jameswu@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Root Directory Not Found"

Rant: I'm quite a newbie to the BSDs, having migrated recently from the
Linux's, and have found the consistancy I have been looking for
throughout all the Linux distributions. This is my dream operating system!

Critical Question: After following a couple security guides (namely
http://defcon1.org/html/Security/Secure-Guide/secure-guide.html
http://draenor.org/securebsd/secure.txt
http://sddi.net/FBSDSecCheckList.html
http://people.freebsd.org/~jkb/howto.html), I believe I have locked out
all my non-root accounts. Whenever I try to login, it spews back

Root Directory Not Found

and after 2-3 seconds restarts the login. Can anyone give me a pointer
to what config file did this?

None-critical Side Question: I looked around for the smallest shell
possible to run my chat clients from (X is far too much for my system to
handle) and "cat /usr/ports/shells/*/pkg-descr | grep small" returned me
esh. However when I change the shell to esh the shell puts out a "$" and
immediately terminates. Searching for documentation for esh on google
proved to be a failure, so does anyone know how to configure esh to
"stay" after it starts up?

Thank you,
J.W.