Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:39:08 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Steve Byan <stephen_byan@maxtor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS vs. Soft Updates (again) (was: Re: large filesystem, journaling  filesystem support)

Steve Byan wrote:
> On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 02:43  PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > it would be nice if the drive had enough NVram to hold that one trashed
> > block so it could rewrite it on powerup.
>
> If enough customers show up waving dollar bills in their hands ...

The disk manufacturers have historically not recognized new
markets, until after their competition has already entered them.
This was true for 8 inch floppies, 5 Inch floppies, 3 inch
floppies, 14 inch fixed disks, 5 inch fixed disks, 3 inch fixed
disks, 2.5 inch fixed disks, and the new, quarter size fixed
disks.  In all cases, the market for these products was a new
market (minicomputer, desktop, luggable, minicomputer, desktop,
luggable, laptop, cameras/etc.) for which the companies were
unprepared, and therefore failed to pursue.  How many people
remember Shugart or Miniscribe?

The problem is that everyone is trying to sell up-market from
where they started, as their companies become fat, dumb, and
lazy, and therefore require higher margins for the same
products.  Old companies do not innovate: the decisions that
make them profitable make them incapable of anything other
than evolutionary, not revolutionary, advances.

Don't worry, Open Source Software projects are in exactly the
same boat: it requires an entirely different skill set to
enter a new market.

There's a great book on this:

	The Innovator's Dilemma
	Clayton M. Christensen
	HarperBusiness
	ISBN: 0-06-662069-4

The hard disk industry is one of his three major examples.  8-).

FWIW: the major market you are not seeing here is ATA RAID arrays
that can compete with SCSI RAID arrays from other disk vendors,
where you can leverage the ATA economyies of scale that make SCSI
disks more expensive than ATA disks, in the first place.  Basically,
the first ATA disk manufacturer to do this will spike much of their
competitions SCSI market,as soon as the software types become aware
of the change (see below).

> > For us the problem is that the drive reports the write as having
> > happenned when it hasn't, so teh filesystem dependencies end up being
> > smashed, because teh filesystem is writing out data in dependency
> > order,
> > but if the data is written in a different order to the drive,
> > the drive can end up being in error in the  case of failure.
>
> That's the cost of write-behind caching. SCSI gives you enough control
> to avoid this problem. ATA disks don't, but at least they're
> inexpensive.

Which is why people call ATA drives "crap", and disk manufacturers
get upset about it: they are competing on size and spindle speed,
and somehow seem to have forgotten one of the purposes of their
products is to _reliably store data_.

The funny thing is that it would cost them nearly nothing, now
that they have tagged command queues for ATA drives, to put this
feature into ATA drives, as well... in fact, it may even be no
more than a firmware hack.

> Ick, that could be a big number, maybe a couple of seconds in the very
> worst-case, I dunno for sure. I think you're probably talking a UPS
> rather than a large filter cap in the power supply. I think it's
> technically better to accept that you're not going to get all the data
> on the disk when power fails, and supply a "power fail" signal to the
> drive a few sector-times in advance of the power going out of the
> spec-limits. That way the drive could guarantee that it won't partially
> overwrite a sector.

That's a really annoying point of view.  8-).

The problem with this approach is that it requires cable changes
to the drive interface, unless you designate one of the "spare"
grounds as being inverse AC present signal; even so, you would
not be guaranteed that the motherboard/controller manufacturers
have all tied this pin active low in their designs, if it's
truly a "spare".  That means the disks would not work with some
motherboards, which is death in a commodity market.

I suspect that this is a good reason that, despite the design
being available in your head, no manufacturer has implemented
this, even if there was not computer hardware support for it.

Basically, this means that we (filesystems engineers) have two
wishlist items for disk manufacturers:

1)	Add logic to the ATA disks to provide the same control
	over the ordering of operations (e.g. barriers and
	completion notification) that SCSI disks have (per the
	above, this may be nothing more than a firmware hack).

2)	Provide the ability to obtain physical geometry
	information from ATA disks, similar to the information
	that is returned in SCSI mode page 2.

The first can be a "must enable, disabled by default" item, and
the second could be a vendor-private command, which keeps both
of them from being visible to ignorant users of the disks.

If you want to address throwing a chock in the wheels and/or
dumping the write queue to on-board NVRAM, assuming an inverse
AC fail notification, if it's turned on (off by default to
account for floating cable pins, rather than active low, on
some motherboards, to avoid sabotaging your existing market),
that would be nice too.  ;^).

-- Terry