Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:21:49 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, "Tim J. Robbins" <tjr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_trap.c

Julian Elischer wrote:

> >>John I'm not saying that the patch shouldn't have been tested more, and
> >>in fact my name shouldn't have been there really because I didn't say
> >>"go ahead and commit" I said "my machine is running, it's looking good
> >>so far, who will be responsible for the commit"? This was not as clear
> >>as I hoped and David took it (English is not his first language) to be
> >>"go ahead and commit".
> >
> >You are David's mentor yes?  Ok, then you are responsible when this
> >happens.  If you do not hold David responsible, then the Project is
> >going to hold you responsible in his stead.  That's what being a mentor
> >means.
>

> You aren't reading are you?

Julian,

I think that you are missing the point of being a MENTOR.  This wasn't a
random developer coming to you for a review, and the result being a
simple miscommunication.  This was your mentee, whom you assume
responsibility for.  Being a mentor is more than being a sponsor.  The
intent was that if the mentee screws up, the mentor takes responsibility
publically, and hopefully that would encourage the mentor to be as
active and careful as possible.  I have to agree with others that trying
to absolve yourself here is inappropriate and downright unfair to David.

Without picking on David, I think that this is a perfect example of the
grumbling that has been building about the lessening quality of people's
work.  Would a forced backout send the message that untested and broken
commits are not acceptable?  I'm reluctant to lower the axe while David
is away, but it's put us in a bad position.

Scott