Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 08:34:27 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        jimd@siu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI on SB Live! ? (fwd)

jimd@siu.edu wrote:
> I have two MIDI keyboards: small, inexpensive Casiotone MT-240 that has
> very nice builtin piano samples; large, moderately expensive Yamaha
> PSR-210 with nice builtin brass, woodwind, and string samples. I use a
> simple "midi connector" with a serial cable with two OUT's, two THRU's,
> and one IN. I oftentimes use both keyboards for playback instruments along
> with the Amiga builtin 4-channel sound chip.

FWIW: you will not be able to use this cable with a PC.  The
MIDI data rate is not supported by the PC UART, which has a
fixed set of clock rates available.  The Zilog UART on the
Amiga (and on Sun systems, too) has a programmable clock rate
and so is capable of operating at the MIDI baud rate (the cable
is basically nothing more than av differential voltage converter).

-- Terry