Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:03:29 -0700
From:      Charlie Schluting <charlie@schluting.com>
To:        michael Corleone <libchk@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error in buildworld.

michael Corleone wrote:
> hi i received this error when im about to do a buildworld after upgrading my src and ports collection.
> im running 4.8-RELEASE, heres the logs of the errors:
> i hope anyone can explain what and where is the the line that causes the error, thanks all.
>

> ===> bin/ln
> ===> bin/ls
> cc -O -pipe  -DCOLORLS -Wall -Wformat     -static -o ls cmp.o ls.o print.o util.o -lm -ltermcap
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libtermcap.a: could not read symbols: Malformed archive

The line that you pasted is the one causing the error. With the limited
information you provided, I would say that you need to either run make
cleandir (two times) in /usr/src and delete /usr/src/obj, or to be safe,
cd /usr/src && mrm -rf *
After that, you'll have to run cvsup again, then attempt the make
buildworld again.

If that doesn't work, please include the following info:
Hardware, the lines in your cvsup file that say tag=

--Charlie