Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:55:10 -0700
From:      lists <lists@dlfws.net>
To:        William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop booting issue

William O'Higgins wrote:

>I recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a ThinkPad 600X.  The install seemed
>to go fine, but when I reboot and I look at the menu, I have two choices
>- F1 DOS, F2 FreeBSD.  There is nothing on the DOS partition, so I want
>  to press F2.
>
>There isn't any response however.  If I hit F1 it tries to boot the
>remnants of the previous OS (Win98), but if I hit F2 I get squat.
>
>Does this ring any bells for anyone?  Or should I just install Windoze
>first (I have to dual-boot :-( ) and then try again?  Any input would be
>appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi William,

You should install Win98 first, FreeBSD second. Win98 will overwrite the
boot manager installed by BSD and you'll have to reinstall ( provided
that you're using the boot manager. ). I have setup a bunch of dual boot
systems ( various win versions & FreeBSD ) and never ran into the
problem you are having. Did you do a custom install or the default one?
Can you give any further details of what you did during the install?

Thanatos ( lists@dlfws.net )