Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:59:28 +0100
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+sender+3564cf@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to set up a network?

konsu wrote:

>hello,
>
>my setup is going to be:
>
>1. windows xp machine with NIC connected to a hub
>2. freebsd machine with NIC connected to the same hub
>3. the hub is connected to a dsl modem
>

>1. i am going to use the freebsd system for web server development.
>   but i do not want to pollute the server with unnecessary browser
>   installations, so i would like to be able to browse to my freebsd
>   site from IE on the windows system. but the site does not need to
>   be visible from outside of my little network.
>
>2. i need to be able to copy files from my freebsd machine to XP.
>
>3. i assume that since i have a hub, my machines can connect to the
>   internet independently.
>
>please point me to the right resources as to how to set this up.
>i have no clue which technology to research. do i need any extra
>software in addition to the basic OS setup? i would really prefer
>to not use any extra stuff.

You will need to install the webserver on FreeBSD, since that is not
part of the default OS setup. A popular one is Apache
(http://www.apache.org) and the way to install it in FreeBSD is using
the "ports" system.

If you search on freebsd.org for ports, you will find quite a good
explanation of what it is here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

The Apache port is in /usr/ports/www/apache13 or /usr/ports/www/apache2,
depending on which version of Apache you want.

The FTP server comes preinstalled on a FreeBSD system or else you can
install one from /usr/ports/ftp if the standard gives you the creeps ;-)

At that point you have everything you need as described in your email,
but you do have to configure the Apache webserver on this. The Apache
website (www.apache.org) has good hints and tips, and so does the
default config file, which is located in /usr/local/etc/apache/

HTH,

Nils.

--
Simple guidelines to happiness: