Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:15:28 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When they came for Brett

At 04:47 PM 9/12/99 -0400, Brett Taylor wrote:

> > Everyone knows that he will respond to every single message to him, so
> > if they really did not want to see his messages, they would ignore
> > him, or even filter him out.
>
>This is not always true.  If you form your questions/comments so that they
>are very very specific he will ignore them.  He recently said he'd been
>doing a lot of advocacy and Jordan, among others, noted that we haven't
>seen any of these articles.  I would personally like to see them so I can
>read them (because I do enjoy his articles usually) and so I can put
>pointers to them in Daemon News.  I then asked him to please send me where
>these were published, even if it was solely in print.  I've never heard
>back from him.

That's because I already answered the same question for someone else,
not more than a week ago, on this list.

Funny: I've noted that when I repeat myself for the benefit of people who
have ignored my earlier postings, those who wish to discredit me -- or
discourage others from reading my messages -- claim that I do nothing but say
the same things over and over. But if I don't respond to the redundant
queries, I'm told that I must not have a good answer. Aha! Catch-22! This
is what's known as being "trolled." The object is either to discredit the
target, wear him or her out, or waste his or her time. Your earlier message
seemed well-meaning and friendly, but after this one I must ask: is this
your intent as well? I hope not.

>The reason people get annoyed with Brett is that he always says he's doing
>something or willing to do something but then never, as far as we
>(speaking for the people on the list - kinda bold) can tell follows
>through with any actual work.

In several cases, I have not followed through because I was told that my
proposed contribution would not be appreciated. This has happened, at times,
when I've volunteered code, debugging time (in particular, fixing the fxp
driver so that it works with Netfinity servers), and advocacy.

In most cases, however, I *do* follow through. In fact, my drive to see if
I can successfully do a FreeBSD distribution is following through in a big,
BIG way, since as I'd be putting quite a large amount of my own money -- and
more than full time every day -- on the line to push and enhance FreeBSD.
The income stream it generated wouldn't make anyone rich, but it would fund
participation in conferences in trade shows for the purpose of advocacy,
and would do development that would flow back to the FreeBSD code base.

Even the basic due diligence required to mount such an effort is a very
big and time-consuming effort.

>   He's like a foreman who sits on his butt
>all day telling people what to do while a house is being built but
>couldn't personally hammer a nail if he was asked to.

You obviously are not familiar with my background. I've hammered quite a lot
of nails.

--Brett Glass