Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:53:24 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A depressing thought..

>...seems to be that people are not choosing their platform based on
>technical merit anymore...
>
>Case in point: I had lunch with some friends the other day. and one
>of the blokes was this guy (visiting from norway, I think) whose
>company works with ASP and other MS technology.
>Now according to him, when they started out, they approached Sun and
>Oracle (among others, no mention of anything BSD) for contracts. And
>the reason why they chose to go MS was because that MS offered them
>_FREE_ 90 licences for everything, and a free support and consulting
>for 90 days, among other things which cannot recall at the moment,
>whereas everyone else was rather slack in offering them anything
>similar, despite having (arguably) technically superior products.
>
>This sucks.

My personal favorite statement so far came out of the mouth of the
technical director of a IT venture captial company I was working with at
one point.  When the question of server OS came up for a network we were
building, the instruction (not suggestion) was:

"Go with NT.  After all, it's a Bill Gates World."

I think I almost screamed.