Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 02:05:22 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        cfabbro@computerhouseprato.com
Subject:   Videoconference and ppp -nat

Hi everybody.

I have setup a gateway for a small intranet with a FreeBSD box 3.4 and the
(very great) user ppp by Brian Somers which administer a leased line
connection to the net.
The box is running a firewall too.

I'd like to know if someone have experience of using a videoconference
tool, under these conditions, from a client inside the Intranet to an
extenal ones.

We have tried M$ Netmeeting, but it works only in text mode. Brian kindly
answered to this iussue explaining that the audio-video streaming of this
proggie was not supported by our ppp NAT code:

---> begin here <---
 > >I'm afraid you're out of luck here.  M$ Netmeeting uses H323 to
 > >communicate and it's a bit tricky getting a hold of any H323 specs.
 > >Even if I did, I've been told that it's a bugger to do anything with
 > >and that it's a moving target....
 > >
 > >Basically, it's one of those nasty protocols that encapsulate IP
 > >numbers, and therefore needs specific support in the NAT software.

So know I am wondering which other tools I can use with the win98 - freebsd
boxes under the firewall and ppp -nat rules to communicate with audio-video
streaming with other boxes outside the intranet ...
Any suggestions/tips/hints/cheats is welcome...

Thanks to everyone for attention...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it