Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:37:24 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld static search path?

At 03:24 PM 7/11/00 -0400, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I posted this to questions, but have not received any reply.  I was hoping
> > someone here in hackers could help...  Thanks.
> >
> > Original Post
> > -------------
> > Could someone tell me how I can find out what the *static* search path for
> > ld is?  Also, how can I add my own directories to the static search path?
> >

>If you are speaking of static libraries, I believe it defaults to
>/usr/lib.  When compiling use the -L flags to specify other dirs
>(e.g. -L/usr/local/lib -l<mylib>).
>
>-----
>Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org

Correct, the -L I am aware of.  My problem is that I am trying to compile a
program that uses a configure script to check certain things, among which
are that ld can find all libraries specified with the -l flag.  The problem
is that that this particular configure script does not honor my -L flags
that I try to pass it, so it fails.  The whole thing works on Linux, which
is where this particular program was developed (I think).  I can get it to
work by making symlinks from the libs in /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib, but
this completely defeats the purpose of having a /usr/local/lib...  I could
hack the configure script, but aside from being a pain in the butt (it is a
44,000 line configure script!) I don't want to have to do that for every
program that I try to install that expects ld to be able to find standard
libraries.

Thank you,
Matthew