Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 19:04:56 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Christopher Svensrud <chris.svensrud@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login question

[Please use "reply-all" to keep the mailing list in the recipient list]

Christopher Svensrud wrote:
> I have tried your suggestion and I get the same problem. "incorrect
> password".

Are you saying you're getting the login error when you try to login in from
Windows via smb?  If so, this is a completely different problem than the
one I gave you a fix for.

> I am running version 4.9 with KDE desktop. I am trying to set this machine
> up as a simple file server.

Can you log in to KDE?

> I get message containing nmbd[187] as I try to log in. Is there a way to
> disable or edit smb.conf from single user mode? If really thing this might
> be part of the source of my problem.

I'm not sure, but I don't think your problem is with FreeBSD, but with Samba.

Take a look at some of these docs:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smbpasswd.8.html
http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba24Hc13.pdf
ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/customers/samba/

Note the following additional information:
1) If your problem is with logging in via samba, you'll probably get better
    assistance posting your question to the samba mailing lists:
    http://lists.samba.org/mailman/
2) If your problem is with samba, you'll most likely need to include your
    smb.conf file in order to get any decent help.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies