Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:00:30 -0400
From:      john <jcmalc@cpinternet.com>
To:        bugbusters@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 server crash.

ENVIRONMENT.

Compaq Presario sr1053wm.

I can't provide log files at this point because freebsd  works badly on
my machine.

DESCRIPTION
---------------

 I have installed freebsd  5.2.1 about 20 times with various options on
my machine. The result is always the same.
 The XFree 86 server always crashes.

THIS IS PROBABLY NOT DUE TO BAD DISKS.

I have tried disks from two different sources, including the boxed set.
I have also tried version 5.0.

XFREE86 DOES WORK ON MY HARDWARE - THE PROBLEM IS YOUR INSTALLER (probably).

I also have Openbsd and Suse on the same machine.  XFree86 works on both
of these systems. (note I am using partition magic)

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROBLEMS INSTALLING XFREE86.

  1.. Xconfig reports and error and asks me if I want to try again.

  2  ncursses doesn't work either. It didn't write a config file at all
the last time I checked.

  3. The script version wrote a config file but xfree86 still crashed.

  4. Leaving x alone doesn't work either.

  5. The computer hangs when I chose the "exit install" option.
(unplugging first doesn't help).

  6  I have tried several different configuration settings including all
of the different ones
      suggested by the Compaq support staff.(  they don't really know
what is in their boxes )
      All of the configuration setting that I have tried have been on
the conservative side.

I have reviewed a lot of posts on various forums concerning difficulties
installing XFree86 with Freebsd on
Compaq computers. I haven't seen very many posts about solutions.

WHERE ARE THE LOG FILES?

My installation of Freebsd doesn't work well enough for me to send them.
Programs like Mozilla don;t work.
(probably needs x).. I have not been able to get FreeBSD to mount a
foreign file system so I can't use Windows
or Linux to send the logs.

HOW TO REPEAT THE PROBLEM

Try to install FreeBSD on a Presario sr1053wm. Good luck!

About ready to give up

John

   .. ..