Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:04:55 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Graham North <graham.north@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports to cdrom

Graham North wrote:

>   Does anyone have recommendations for downloading a ports collection -
>   probably via windows machine and burning to CDROM?
>   My HD is small and runs out of nodes when the Ports collection is
>   installed - but what about downloading and making my CD - will I need
>   to save as ISO image?  File format issues?   Indexing issues?
>   Thanks,  Graham/

Where would /ports/distfiles go? And what about ~/work subdirs?
They must be writable.  You need hard disk to do this.

You can use a refuse file to trim the size of /usr/ports, but you
can't use the ports tools to do auto upgrading unless you have
the whole tree (can't find the doc ATM, a thread on questions@
recently addressed this.)

If you're unable to add HDD space, why not use packages?

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.