Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:25:28 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        johnryan_852@iprimus.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soekris Net4801 performance

johnryan_852@iprimus.com.au wrote:
> Hi, I've just bought 2 soekris net4801-60 boxes and am having trouble getting
> them to perform under FreeBSD.
[ ... ]
> Has anyone got any experience with these machines and any advice?

I've got one or two of the older Soekris 4501's, running NetBSD 2.0 via 128MB
CF.  They booted FreeBSD 4 OK, though, and you might want to retest using 4.11
rather than 6.0 and see whether it does better for you.

Otherwise, give NetBSD a spin, it's targetted more for that type of appliance
role and is going to be tuned more reasonably for the hardware you've got.

--
-Chuck