Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:14:53 +0100
From:      eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
To:        Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postgres

Greg Barniskis wrote:
> eoghan wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am installing postgres81-server from ports, but it gives me an error.
>> It requires postgres81-client but I have postgres74-client installed.
>> I have not installed this port, so is there something that uses this?
>> I cannot find any pgsql script. Would it be safe to remove 74-client
>> and install the latest version?
>
> Short answer: probably safe, yes.
>
> Longer answer: Have a poke at
>
> # pkg_info -R postgres74-client
> (or however that client package is actually named)
>
> This will tell you what other port(s) you have installed that presumably
> need/want you to have the 7.4 client installed, and thus what might be
> broken by your forcing an upgrade of it. Then you can decide if it's
> worth the risk, what to test after, what contingency plans and backups
> to make, etc.

Thanks guys:

Required by:
kde-3.5.1
koffice-1.4.2_3,1
php5-extensions-1.0
php5-pgsql-5.1.2_1
postgresql-libpqxx-2.5.5

I wanted to use it with php5, so i guess forcing an uninstall would bork
my php5 support?
Since the server port installs the pgsql script (i assume???) i should
probably just go with the older version?
Thanks again
Eoghan