Date:      11 Jan 2003 11:23:42 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "dhclient: no memory for option buffer" ?

questions@FreeBSD.ORG writes:

> I'm getting this weird message reported by syslogd:
>
> dhclient: no memory for option buffer.
>
> Obviously this means that dhclient is reporting some sort of memory error,
> but what exactly? It just started reporting this error reecntly after I
> had a power outage, but everything else seems OK.
>
> I did some searching in the archives but couldn't find anything on this.
> Can anyone enlighten me?

That error goes all the way back to malloc(), so it sounds like
something got mangled on your system.  Despite the fact that nothing
else seems to be having problems, I'd suspect the system libraries
first, but it could well be dhclient as well.  If you keep your system
up-to-date on any kind of regular basis, now might be a good time for
an upgrade.